From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:55:27 -0700
On 19 Sep 2006 at 4:27, Chuck Finnigan wrote:

> I purchased a new Samsung SyncMaster 215TW (20" wide) LCD monitor. I
> have it running in Digital mode attached to an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
> adapter. I've installed the latest drivers for the monitor. I'm not
> sure which drivers i need to upgrade the adapter as it always list so
> many for that chipset. The highest the resolution will set to is 1280
> x 1024, which is below the recommended.  The refresh rate is 60.

  The resolution choices are provided by the driver, which reflects the
capabilities of the video card -- NOT the monitor.  The FX 5200 is a fine
card for normal use, but 1600x1200 puts you into territory that needs
something a bit more exotic, or at least with more video RAM.

> The problem is that every other line on the screen appears blurry. Is
> this just a bad monitor that i need to replace or am i missing
> something in the settings?

  A CRT can adjust to a lower resolution by adjusting the spacing of the
lines ("rasters") on the screen.  An LCD screen can't do that; it's *trying*
to spread the video cards 1024 lines over the screen's 1200, and the best it
can manage is not very good.
  The monitor *MAY* have a mode where you can just used the middle 1024 lins
and leave 88 blank lines at the top and bottom of the screen, but I don't
think you'll be happy with that either.

  Best bet is to upgrade to a video card that can deliver the resolution
your monitor is capable of.

David Gillett

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com