From:
Todd Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2006 21:32:42 -0400
I have an HP Pavilion 8870 Desktop PC running Win. XP that I recently decided I would upgrade.  The video card shipped with it was a TNT2 Pro.  I had been told by HP Tech support that I could use "Any 4x card AGP with more video memory than 32 MB & which complies with AGP 2.0."

With that info. I went to a local computer shop and was shown an array of cards that I could use.  Always wanting the biggest and the best they sold me on an MSI NX6600 VTD256.  I was hesitant because on the box it showed Min. Requirements of AGP 8x compliant with a minimum 350W system power supply.

Now I don't know exactly what the power supply on my system is, but I'm going to assume its only around 185W.  I looked at quite a few web forums and did find one in particular where someone had similiar specs as myself and it worked for them so that made me feel a little more confident.

After installing the card, reconnecting all the cables, and booting, I was in dismay to see only "HP Invent" start-up screen and then nothing....it just sits on "HP Invent".  There's power to all the drives, you can open and close them all, the keyboard light is on, but nothing else.  The computer doesn't show any errors or make any audio error alerts.

I tried a few times just disconnecting the card, putting it back in, making sure it was firmly in place.  (Blew out dust) Also I made sure any connectors I took off were back on and firmly in place.  Still nothing.

I immediately removed the NX6600 card and put my old AGP TNT2 Pro back into the CPU.  Reconnected everything, checked to make sure no loose wires, and booted.   "HP Invent" screen and nothing else.

I have since rebooted countless times.  On about 2 or 3 of 12 boots I had something occur.  Once Windows XP started to load but the bar froze a second later.  Another time it actually seemed to load the entire way but when it went to flip over to the desktop the screen just stayed black, froze.  One time it even gave me an error message saying that the comp. was improperly shut down, I wish I would have tried starting it in safe mode but I did not.  It counted down from 30, started normally and froze again when it should have gone to the desktop.

Is it possible that I fried something by putting that AGP 8x card in which required 350W?

ANY IDEAS!? =(   I'm going crazy!

I appreciate any and all replies.

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com