BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Louis Sullivan Smiley-Face Listserv! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 21:49:43 -0800
What about this one?  At first I thought it was a "retirement home" aka
assisted living facility, now I'm not so sure.  Ruth

At Sunnyside Gardens, the first American adaptation of
<http://www.library.cornell.edu/Reps/DOCS/howard.htm>Ebenezer Howard’s
Garden City, the buildings covered only 28% of the land, allowing for a
particularly large amount of open space to integrate elements of rural and
urban living. The houses were built in rows, usually near the perimeter of
the block, allowing for central open courts for recreation and community
use. They were designed in a simplified Colonial Revival or Art Deco style
with a variety of rooflines and arrangements for visual interest. The
physical arrangement and amenities as well as the community organizational
system fostered the developers’ goal of creating a neighborhood that would
meet the social as well as physical needs of its residents. In addition to
the buildings, many elements of the original landscape, including large
street trees and some courtyard plantings are still extant.
--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT