From:
Brett Winches <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2006 17:33:38 -0700
Butch et-el.,

This is a closed test for now with many waiting in the wings to advance
the next generation of talking books from the NLS.

I had attended a plenary meeting in the early 1990s which discussed user
requirements for this digital book standard and managed to secure a slot
to participate in the beta download portion of a book delivery system
which may go on line within the next two years as one option for
delivery of talking books.  The audio is  truly awesome much better than
anything currently available in the general market coupled with timely
delivery is really bringing me  joy in the reading area.  The magazine
test alone is great let alone the book portion.

Another added benefit is the ability to control navigation by chapters
and in some cases headings.

Many lists on the net discuss this as digital talking books and DAISY
format books so google and enjoy the new world coming.

Thank you!

Brett Winchester - Reading and volunteer Services
IDAHO COMMISSION F/T BLIND & VISUALLY IMPAIRED
P O BOX 83720
BOISE IDAHO  83720-0012
208.334.3220.104