From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:50:20 -0500
Hi.

I, too, have found Merge to be a source of trouble.  It is generally easier
if you have specific scripts and other files that you want to carry forward
to copy them over and then open up the script manager and recompile.  I've
found this to be much much more reliable.

Also, if you are a scripter, and you take a periodic look through the
Freedom Scientific Developers Network, you will discover that even copying
scripts and recompiling isn't always a good way to go, because some of the
functions have new additional features, and the number of parameters that
you use can change from version to version.

For those who are just bring JAWS Configuration Files, Frames, and
dictionary files forward, these seem to go forward much more easily, at
least from version 5.0 on.  I think that the reason why the Merge is as
much trouble as it is is because it doesn't always adequately address
differences in features between the various versions of JAWS.  Just my
opinion, and that won't even get you a cold cup of coffee!

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 04:05 PM 10/30/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>It breaks everything from dictionary definitions to graphics file
>definitions and always has. I don't know why, and I doubt that FS does,
>either, or they'd fix it. Things get truncated or garbled. The fact is that
>I personally know of many cases, all of them reported on public lists, where
>running merge broke things and people had to re-install versions from 4.X
>through 7.X. I never run it and if it's necessary for me to do what the
>merge function would otherwise do, I do it manually.

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Work e-mail:  [log in to unmask]