From:
Danny Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 15:01:15 -0400
Hi Richard, the super radios were and maybe are still made by General
Electric/"G E."  The original, made late seventys to early 80s I think,  was
a quite sensitive/selective, and  good sounding for its' size, FM, AM,
strictly mono, strictly analog,  117vac and or 6 D cell receiver with ext
FM, AM, Ant, And Ground Screws in back left, FM rod ant on top, pretty good
sized ferrite loopstick antenna for AM inside.  fold down {toward rear}
handle on top, power button on top right front, and vertacle row,/top to
bottom, large tuning, treble, base, and volume knobs down the right front,
with fm-am and fm-A F C/updown 2position flip switches, side by side,
between tuning and treble knobs.  has maybe 6by9 speaker most of left side
of radio, with metal grill/screne, dile across front of radio near the top,
and 3eighths inch mono phone jack on righthand side of radio.
Super Radio 2, Probably early eightys to around 90 or so, somewhat similar
lay out, but with tuning knob on right side rather than front of radio, and
earphone jack is stereo.  Not quite as selective or sensitive, but close.
Super radio 3, early ninetys to now, I guess, about the same size with, as I
remember them,  wide narrow am and am and or fm stereo switches on front
near where other switches were located, sounds good, but terrible_
sensitivity _Especially on FM, and even worse selectivity on both fm and am.
All Are My Oppinions, I've owned both several of the original models, and
one of the 3s, which I _____Very quickly got rid of!!!!! Boy What a
disappointment.  I've used though never owned a super radio 2.  None of them
are perfect, I've experienced dial cord brakeage on the originals, have run
across several originals in pawnshops etc, bought a paint spattered ugly one
at a hamclub yardsale for $5 and was thrilled to get it.
I don't know of anything in the price range that comes anywhere near what
they do, except one of the old, and I mean early to mid sixtys channelmaster
table model portable type units, about the size of a 9inch tv, with rabbit
ears on either side of the top for FM, as well as fm, am, and ground screws
on rear, similar dial layout but with fm-am knob inside tuning knob, and
phone jack on front.  This one had no AC supply in it, ran off either 6 or 9
D cells, and I'd love to have one.  The little Sony 7600G and the sw100S are
pretty good AM-FM units, with SW, and frankly, the Grundig yb400 and 400PE
make good FM-AM units, don't sound as good as the Supers, but do alright,
and the dx398/Sangean 909 is one of the best AM radios in the price class,
especially if you use a stereo headphone cord in the external antenna jack
and find the individual center conductor that corresponds to the AM antenna
input.  Another pretty good little FM-AM unit, though not as good as the
ones mentioned above but a very simple, stable, and fun fm am sw portable
though not ssb compatible is the radioshack dx375.  But enough of my
rambling. dd.