ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 18:43:18 -0500
Our Helper in Prayer

Romans 8:26-27

In a moment of frustration or pain, have you ever found yourself calling out
to God, "Lord, I don't know how to pray!" At some point, every believer
faces
a moment like that. But our Father has made provision for such times-the
Holy Spirit is our prayer Helper.

Talking to God can be difficult when we do not know the wisest request to
make, particularly when His will is unclear. Sometimes we cannot express our
feelings
adequately in words. In those circumstances, the Holy Spirit intercedes and
speaks on our behalf. Not only is He aware of our heart and need; He also
knows
God's mind and will so He can form the perfect prayer.

Prayer struggles are common to believers. The apostle Paul wrote about how
his desire to do ministry conflicted with his wish to be with Jesus.
(Philippians
1:22-24) He suffered a great deal in order to do the work he loved. Not only
that-his greatest joy was looking forward to eternity in Christ's presence.
He faced a tough choice: knowing that persecution would not likely diminish,
was he to pray that his work might continue, or should he ask God to call
him home and leave some people unreached?

The Lord knew believers would need a Helper to offer guidance and give voice
to their heart's needs. The fact that God ensured we could always reach Him
should tell us how much He values prayer. In fact, the discipline of regular
communication with our Father is so vital that He would not even send an
angel
to act as messenger and interpreter; instead, He took that role Himself and
came to us in the form of the Holy Spirit.