ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2006 08:39:01 -0500
A God of Grace

John 1:14-18

Imagine receiving a big, beautifully wrapped gift when there is no special
occasion - the sender simply chose to do this for you. Inside the package is
something very special. Eagerly, you read the card to discover who could
have been so generous. To your amazement, you learn that the giver is
someone
you have been avoiding and to whom you have been unkind! What do you do?

This gift giving is a picture of the Father's grace in sending His Son Jesus
to earth for us. There was no special occasion; God simply had the desire to
do it. The present arrived, despite the fact that we were either passively
ignoring the Lord or actively rebelling against Him. This is grace - God's
goodness
and kindness extended to those who do not deserve it and have no possible
way to earn it.

In the Son, we see the fullness of God's kindness revealed. First, Jesus has
fully met all the requirements of divine law by living a perfect life on
earth.
Second, because of His sinless life as a man, He was qualified to pay the
cost for our rebellious ways. Third, Christ sacrificed His life on the cross
to pay for all our sins - past, present, and future. Fourth, when we receive
Him as our Savior, God counts Jesus' death as payment for all we have done
wrong. Fifth, upon our salvation, Christ's perfect life is counted as our
own; His righteousness becomes ours through faith (Romans 4:5).

What will you do with God's gift of grace - refuse it, or say "thank You"
and take steps to know Him? And if you already do know Christ, have you been
taking
Him for granted?