ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 22:59:15 -0500
The Practical Helper

1 Corinthians 2:11-13

In the New Testament's original language, the Greek word paracletos is used
for Jesus' description of the Holy Spirit (John 14:16, 26; 15:26; 16:7).
This
term refers to an individual who is summoned to provide assistance to
another person. Its common usage indicates the practical nature of the
Spirit's mission
in the believer's life.

The Holy Spirit is the Christian's helper in prayer. Knowing the Father's
mind and will, He intercedes accordingly, petitioning on our behalf in
keeping
with God's plan for us. When we pray, the Spirit brings our petitions to
Jesus, who in turn-on the basis of His own shed blood-lays them before the
heavenly
Father. The Father responds, and Christ communicates the message to the
Spirit, who interprets it for us.

Apart from the Holy Spirit, believers would be without guidance on the
journey through life. The Spirit is our interpreter, who makes clear the
mind of
Christ; in addition, He is our teacher, who instructs us by illuminating the
meaning of Scripture. The Spirit of God also uses circumstances, other
people,
and His promptings to lead us.

After praying for direction, have you eventually had a sense of assurance
accompanied by knowledge of what to do? When that is the case, the Spirit
has
been at work.

God loves His children far too much to leave their circumstances to chance
or to the whims of human nature. Instead, He has provided a Helper to assist
us in praying, understanding the Scriptures, and living a godly life.