ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2006 11:16:43 -0500
A Pattern for Servanthood

John 13:1-17

In Matthew 20:26, Jesus gave His disciples a revolutionary message: "Whoever
wishes to become great among you shall be your servant." In ancient days the
lowest servant of the household washed dusty feet. Kneeling to clean away
dirt from a guest's toes was not something the master of the home wanted to
do.
So the disciples must have been surprised when Jesus performed this humble
task for them. He explained His shocking behavior by saying, "If I then, the
Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's
feet" (John 13:14).

Based on those words, many churches have turned foot washing into an
ordinance; they believe that this act shows Christlikeness and demonstrates
willingness
to "serve." Perhaps that is true for some believers, but many perform the
ceremony by rote. Jesus' message to the disciples and to modern believers is
not literally to wash dirty feet, but rather to serve one another with
humility and love.

True servanthood is not a popular topic because, in all honesty, most
Christians prefer having things done for them. But God seeks the kind of men
and women
who offer themselves as living sacrifices. To serve the Lord well, we must
be willing do whatever He asks for whomever He wishes. Our Christlikeness is
evident when we love God and others so much that we willingly humble
ourselves for their sake.

Jesus performed one of the lowliest tasks of His day to demonstrate His
servanthood. What are you willing to do for Him?