ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:32:46 -0400
Julie,
The NIV translators say that they are more accurate because they  not
only went back to the original texts, but there have been more
originals found since 1611, when the KJV was translated, and they do
have a point there.  I mean, the Dead Sea Scrolls weren't even
discovered until 1947 and their discovery made it impossible for the
Jewish community to deny that Isaiah 53 really belonged in the
prophet's writing.  Up until that time, many believed that Isaiah 53
was inserted by the New Testament church because it describes so
accurately the death of Christ.  I believe that the attachment to the
KJV really is partly emotional in nature.  It's tradition and
familiar and A lot of people have a hard time giving that kind of
thing up.  Since, however, the KJV, truly was written to be the bible
for the people, in the common, Elizabethan language of the day and I
believe that the more modern translations are designed with that
spirit of common language of the people  in mind.  I'm learning that
some people are attached to the KJV, just like some people are
attached to the flag.  It kind of makes me wonder what some people
are really worshiping.
Kathy