BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that Ruth calls "Pluto's spider-hole."
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 09:01:57 -0700
OK folks, as usual I'm in over my head and need some help.  The Putney
Historical Society, of which I am President--again--has been asked to join
forces with another small, nearly defunct, organization in town.  The full
story being that the other organization owns a building, a former church
built 1820-30 timeframe, that they cannot afford to keep up.  This building
was deeded to them with the stipulation that it must be used for community
activities, kept in good repair, and insured or it would go back to the
heirs of the donor.  Now, I think there are ways to get those sorts of
things removed from deeds but no one has mentioned trying to do this.  This
building "appears" to be in fairly sound condition but I am certainly not
qualified to do a through inspection to say so, my inspection consists of:
Yup, it's still standing and there's no puddles in the middle of the floor.
We know the roof needs replacing soon and I wouldn't be surprised if the
electical system could use a good upgrade but beyond that I am clueless.

This is a relatively small brick building.  Yesterday I was looking the
building over and in one place where there was a missing brick and it
appears that there is another layer of brick behind that.  Is this
possible, was it common in the timeframe?  The walls aren't very thick so
it appears that there are 2 layers of brick and then the interior plaster
is stuck right on the brick.  I don't know.  Fortunately the plaster seems
to be intact.

My question is, are there people who inspect old, historic buildings to
tell you what needs to be done?  If so what are they called?  Will they
give a report prioritizing work needed?

I feel this building would qualify for grants given for Historic
Preservation but first we would need to know what needs to be done.

Thanks for any advice you all can give.  Ruth
--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT