Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Carol Reisert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 06:23:01 -0400
Even if your surge tests out okay, it may not be.  The easiest way of
testing is to remove all unnecessary hardware.  If your power supply is
less than 245watts, it is not powerful enough, if you have added any other
peripherials.  I have requested from Gateway to send me another part that
would fit my unit but not from, in your case, Delta.  I have explained why
and they have always obliged me.  As for what is going on, you probably do
have a short and would need to send it back for repairs.   This sounds like
it is in the motherboard and they would have to test the board.   I would
ask them why I would have to pay to ship it in, I have never had to and
manage over 100 machines, and over half are Gateway units, ask for a box
with labels.  If you are worried about addons, list all parts that are
being shipped with your unit, including memory etc, keep a copy
yourself.  Express your concern and if the unit does not come back with
what is in it, you can file small claims.
When purchasing a unit you would like to keep, maybe you should order under
the business side rather then a home unit, more expensive but they have to
be reliable.

As for bashing Gateway or any other company maybe we need to look at the
fact that there systems are now coming in with a minimum of 300 watt power
supplies.  As for anything else just like dog food, the same companies even
Newegg buy there computer supplies from the same vendors and just put
different labels on their product.

carol

At 09:22 PM 3/23/2007 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a tech question regarding replacing the existing power supply in mI
>y Gateway E-1500SD Desktop.  Here is my situation.  I keep going through y
>power supplies.  The latest would make it the fifth time it has been
>replpoaced.  Every time it has been replaced, it has been the same
>manufacturerac and same model.  The computer is still under warranty;
>however Gateway w aants me to pay to send it in to them and frankly I do
>not want to shell oanut S&H just to have them replace it with another
>power supply of the sameut make and model.  I know it isn't the surge
>protector because:
>1. It is a UPS with a built in surge protector
>2. Nothing else plugged into it has had any problems
>3. An electrician checked out our home's wiring and found no problems.
>
>Another reason I don't want to send it in is because when it was shipped
>Anto us it came with 256mb memory and I have since upgraded it. (Two power
>tosupplies went out before the upgrade)I have a feeling that the techs
>oversu at Gateway will say that me upgrading it fried the other two power
>suppl aies (the last two times a tech came out and replaced them and
>didn't say ieanything) I don't believe upgrading the memory would fry the
>power supplyan because:
>
>1. Too much memory is not readily known for frying a power supply, maybe
>1.not allowing your computer to load.
>2. Even before upgrading, I went to crucial.com and used their scanner
>to2. see what kind of memory it needed.  Then to be safe, I took the
>memory s stick into the local computer store and got matching memory.  The
>upgrade tiwas to 1gb and according to crucial and the computer tech at the
>store, iwat is upgradeable to 4gb of memory.
>
>I was looking around for a power supply I could put in, and went to newegI
>g first.  They have a multitude to pick from however there is no tool to g
>tell me what kind of supply would work.  As much as I know, it is made
>byte Delta Electronics.  That is about all I can read (the rest being in
>Chin Dese.) Is there anything I can use out there to determine what type
>of supesply will work with no problems?
>
>               The NOSPIN Group is now offering Free PC Tech
>                      support at our newest website:

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml