ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 00:17:36 -0500
To: "BlindWomen4Christ" <[log in to unmask]>
From: "Lisa" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: [log in to unmask]
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 06:03:13 -0400
Subject: [BlindWomen4Christ] Faith At Work:  The Spirtit Of Generosity

Faith@Work, The Spirit of Generosity

"Day by day, as they spent much time together in the temple, they
broke bread at home and ate their food with glad and generous
hearts." -Acts 2:46

The Scriptures are clear - all things are created by God and given to
us human beings as managers for God. All things given to us by God
are to be used as a blessing not only for us, but also for others. I
believe that we are all generous with some things to some people, yet
we are called to be generous with all we are and all we have.
Recently a family has witnessed this to me.

I was always amazed at the generosity of this family. They seemed to
always be focusing on people other than themselves. They shared their
time with the church and with individuals. They shared their home
over the years with many who were in need of a place to stay for a
while - or sometimes for longer. They always asked others how they
were doing - and they really wanted to know. What a great witness
they were to the call to be generous! Yet, there was one area of
their lives that they never believed they could be generous - their
financial giving. This family was not wealthy; in fact, they often
fell on hard times. They felt badly that they were not able to be
financially generous, but they knew that they were generous in so
many other ways.

At the annual congregational stewardship drive, I remember preaching
and teaching the biblical invitation to tithe. The family had heard
this invitation before - but this particular year something was
different - and they came to me and the said that they were taking a
huge leap of faith. They told me that they were going to increase
their giving from 2% to 10% and that they were very excited to do
this. I remember thinking, "Not you! You have two children in college
and your combined income is only $30,000.00! You are so generous in
everything else!" However, I know that when the Lord calls, the Lord
provides. Therefore, I told them that I was very excited for them and
that I knew that the Lord would continue to do amazing things in and
through their generosity.

The Lord blessed them in their generosity, their faith continued to
grow, and they were filled with joy.

Bringing It Home:

1. Are you hearing the call to be generous with your life? With your
spiritual gifts? With your money? A bit apprehensive about actually
being able to do it? Ask God to give you a spirit of generosity. Pray
that God would help you trust in God's provision for you, so that you
take a leap of faith and grow your generosity.

2. Who are the generous people in your life? Who has given themselves
and/or their resources to you and showed you the spirit of generosity
in action. Say a prayer of thanks for them and write them a note of
gratitude.

Prayer:

Lord God, you are such a giving God, even giving your own Son, Jesus
Christ. Thank you for your unbounded generosity to me. I pray that I
might trust you enough to let the blessings I have received flow
through me to others. Give me a spirit of generosity. Help me to
become more generous in every area of my life. Amen.