THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 13:08:27 EST

> From:   Frank Stoffers <[log in to unmask]>
> I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in 2001 (off-the-chart peroxidase) based on
> a suggestion I made to my doctor as I had complained of fatigue and weight
> gain...

First, some doctors treat anyone with Hashi's antibodies, and they go down
(or away) for some people on thyroid supplementation.  In other cases, those
people have low adrenals and taking Cortef (hydrocortisone) some temporarily,
others have a permanent need, find the antibodies go away.  (For long term
hydrocortisone use about 20 mg of Cortef daily, which is a normal amount for your
body, not like the huge doses the doctors give for various ailments that create
all kinds of side effects.

B-12, doesn't absorb well and I've heard you have to take over 1000 mg orally
for it to be effective.

Your TSH is high, most people who are hypo seem to feel better with a TSH of
1 or 2, as far as normal if you were standing in a room of 100 people and your
TSH is just a tiny bit higher than normal, on average, only one person in
that room would have a TSH as high or higher than yours. "Normal" is not a "well
/ sick" cutoff and the lab will usually tell you that if you call.  Many
doctors aren't aware.  Anyway, some think that when antibodies are attacking your
thyroid, TSH might be irrelevant, as in it's even more likely than normal that
a person with a normal TSH can be made hypo by the antibodies.

Soy is know to be "goiterogenic" as is the cabbage family and spinach, which
means it is known to enlarge the thyroid, probably by elevating TSH, and
causing problems with the thyroid working.  Soy is also an estrogen.  Why would a
male want that?  Or a female, unless they have low estrogen to begin with, and
it's not like your own estrogen.  It's also known to block the absorption of
some minerals.  If you search the archives for soy, Colleen Wirtzel gave a lot
of links that told how bad it is for people.

Doctors tend to not recognize adrenal problems before adrenal collapse.  Only
a limited number of docs will treat low adrenals as William Jeffries
described in "Safe Uses of Cortisol."  I'm certainly glad mine will.  If adrenals are
low, hydrocortisone should be started before thyroid meds.

Skipper

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.