From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 02:26:50 +1000
Lawrence wrote:
>need advice on Upgrading a Dell Dimension 8400.>>

What sort of troubles are you running into?  Your system looks pretty good
to me.

It's amazing how many people either throw away or upgrade perfectly good
computers when all they need is a reformat and reinstallation of the
software.  Even removing everything non-essential from startups can work
wonders.

I'd at least try that first before spending money on upgrades. Reinstall
Windows (XP?) from a proper XP disk, not a manufacturers "restore" disk,
which are usually loaded with a lot of proprietary junk. This is often the
primary cause of poor performance. I'm not familiar with Dell restore
disks---with luck, you may have the option of installing just Windows alone.

The alternative, if you can't lay your hands on an XP disk, is to use the
restore disk, then spend some time cleaning out all the junk and
uninstalling whatever you don't need---try to get the system as clean as
you can before installing your own software. Particularly eliminate known
performance drags such as Nortons. Though this will never be quite as good
as starting out from a clean reformatted hard drive.

Don Penlington
 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>