Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 19:13:17 +0000
On a floppy or hard drive, deleting a file usually occurs by changing a pointer to show file doesn't exist.   The file is usually not actually erased.  That is how undelete works - it changes the pointer back.   FAT stands for file access table.  If you lose your FAT, you can't locate your files.  I'm not sure if NTFS (new technology file system) works the same way or not.  I suspect the cd drive is doing something similar, the rewrite(erase) simply rewrites the pointer.