SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dov Henis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 19:31:28 +0200
From Dov Henis
To Eric Mattila
following your reaction and comments re my subject note.

I feel embarassed and uneasy and offer my sincerest apologies.

I understand that SaC is neither "mine"  nor "anyone's".  It is a Hyde Park
platform and site for whoever cares to listen and sound off or react,
hopefully with relevance to the general listserve membership.

I sense that most of the members are from academy and that some
non-academic members, like me, are tolerated and accepted with varying
degrees of good humor for satisfying curiosity and for making the menue
more interesting.

So, first, on a person to person personal level , Eric, you should not have
even the slightest feeling of  dismay or disappointment. Feel and treat
ourselves as in a PLAY, yet with due respect to what is put forward by
everyone.

And re your item of how to best promote interest by members of a certain
group in pursuing "science" : I think it is not worth the effort to tackle
such a challenge with a "group" but only with an individual.  This thinking
is besed on assessment of cost versus results in similar situations in
other places and other group cultures.

Anyhow, please Eric don't succomb to your present low spirit.  Stick with
us, with patience and a sense of humor, please.

Dov Henis