Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:37:33 -0700
I have done some research regarding using markers on a CD DVD. First off,
the DVD has a plastic layer protecting the metalization, so marking on it
should have no effect on the DVD data. A CD, however, usually does NOT have
anything other than a thin paint coating over the metalization layer.
Writing with a ball point pen WILL damage the CD. Writing with a marker MAY,
but usually does not damage the CD. I talked with a marker  manufacturer and
was told that their tests showed no damage to CDs. Placing a label on the CD
could damage it if you peel the label off - the metalization sometimes comes
off with the label - I know from experience!

Hope this information helps.

Peter