Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:31:44 +0100
PCBUILD Digest - 21 Feb 2007 to 23 Feb 2007 (#2007-51)My laptop (sony tr1mp - xp pro) has been misbehaving recently, often not
booting up, if not from the black screen once I've turned it off with the off button.
At times it doesn't switch off but freezes on  the"saving your settings" screen, or freezes when I right click a folder....
I'm thinking of using the recovery disk to clean it up.
The hd comes partitioned with a c and d drive.
All my documents are on d as also a number of setup programs i have downloaded and then installed but kept
there as backups.
Could you give me a check list of the things I should do to avoid
losing things I might need from the c drive?
In using the recovery disk does it normally just change the c drive?
Is there any command to make sure that is what happens?
I have a large external hard disk... would it be worth copying all the
c drive onto it for safety's sake? would I just drag and drop it
from the laptop to the external drive?
How would I then use the hard-disk-copied c drive if anything went wrong with the recovery disk?
Thanks for any help because I am a little worried about this step, but
also frustrated with the bugs that keep wasting my time when I need to
work!
Laurence Grignolo

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>