Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 21:34:38 -0500
Can't seem to get my network working. It was working once and sometimes still works but mostly it doesn't work. Am no expert but have been working on and building computers since the days of DOS. Had 2 computers networked several years ago using a cross over cable with no problems.

Now trying to set up a new network so the computers will be ready for cable. Have a NetGear wireless router but using it in hard wired mode with 2 NetGear NIC cards. Bought them last week. Set up the network using the network wizard in WinXP. Everything worked fine for a couple of hours, then it quit. I built both generic computers. Both are running WinXP Pro, Service pack 2. First has an Intel MB with an 800MHz Intel P3 processor and 640MB Ram. Second has a 1.7GHz Celeron processor with 2GB ram. Don't remember the MB manufacturer but can look it up if needed.

Currently first computer is using a 56K INTERNAL USR DIAL-UP MODEM. Am told the second computer should be able to connect through the first computers modem but could never get it to work. When the first computer is online the second one SOMETIMES tells me it is online too and shows the speed of the internet connection, but can't open any web sites. Can ping the first computer from the second but can't ping the second from the first. Same for net view command. Can ping various web sites from the second computer but can't open any web sites.

Called NetGear. Generally they were less than helpful. They tell me:
1 - The network will only work when online.
2 - Can not get online from the second computer unless a modem is connected to the router.
3 - Problems with the network may be caused by the firewall built in to the router. So far can not get NetGear to tell me how to turn off the firewall.

Called MicroSoft. They tell me:
1 - Second computer should be able to get online through the first computers internal modem but were unable to get it to work.
2 - Network should work when offline.

Trouble shooting done includes turning off WinXP firewall, Norton AV, and spam blockers, booting up in safe mode with network, resetting router, removing and reinstalling NIC cards, using selective start up in MSCONFIG and swapping cables.

Help! What am I missing?

Thanks,

Tom

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,