From:
"Day, Wally" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:01:55 -0700
>Pauling's view has it's paleo component as well. His research on formation
>and removal of arterial plaque led him to believe early man in the tropics
>had sufficient dietary vitamin C,

The presumption being that lack of vitamin C is the "cause" of arterial plaque?

Paulings "allopathic" use of supplements, while fascinating, is putting the cart before the horse - in my opinion. While potentially therapeutic, it never addresses the problem - i.e the Paleo view that the problem is caused by eating the wrong kinds of foods, not because of some sort of rampant vitamin C deficiency.

When I was (much) younger, and researching many of the dietary philosophies of the 70's, I read many of Pauling's books and papers. I could never get over the fact that in order to get his recommended vitamin C intake (upwards of 10 grams per day), you'd pretty much have to be a fruitarian. Or, eat a boatload of liver.

Unfortunately, many scientists treat this kind of research as though primitive man had a pharmacy in the cave next door.