From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 09:30:47 -0500
Northern Europeans do have high cholesterol levels and Greenland Inuit had
higher total cholesterol (208) in 1978 than other HG peoples, though much of
it was good HDL.

I can only speculate re: higher lactose tolerance levels in Swedes than
Anatolians and Middle Easterners. The Middle Easterners were the first to
convert from pastoralism to crop agriculture and the Anatolians may have
converted to crop agriculture before the Swedes as well. Crop agriculture is
not as suitable to Scandinavia, so pastoralism survived there much longer.
Therefore, dairy was likely a larger part of the "Swedish" diet for much
longer than it was for the Middle Easterners. Probably longer than anyone
except the Laplanders (Sami people), which correlates well with the Swedes'
high levels of lactose tolerance.

High cholesterol level (hypercholesterolaemia)
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/lifestyle/healthfitness/health_advice/netdoctor/arc
hive/000151.html

What cause high cholesterol levels?

Cholesterol levels can run in families. If the inherited cholesterol levels
are very high, this is called familial hypercholesterolaemia or familial
combined hyperlipidaemia (FCH) where the triglyceride levels are very high
as well.

Levels can also be influenced by the part of the world you live in:
cholesterol levels in northern European countries are higher than in
southern Europe and much higher than in Asia.

It is known that the relationship to food is significant, but there is no
doubt that genes also play a part. High cholesterol is also seen in
connection with other diseases, such as reduced metabolism (due to thyroid
hormone problems, for example), kidney diseases, diabetes and alcohol abuse.