BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rudy Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that doubts your pants are worth $42 million.
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2007 10:00:05 -0400

In ][<en's response he said:

> My perspective, which I suspect is pragmatic, is that despite any
> objective knowledge, here we have the guy that is actually going about
> repairing gravestones. You can talk with him.

At the very first PTN IPTW ten years ago in Frederick (for those of you who
missed it we're having the 10th anniversary IPTW in Frederick in October
www.IPTW.org ) I met a young tradesperson, who has grown to be an important
part of our histo presto community, who had agreed to demonstrate hewing
timber. Since this is a part of my trade I decided to visit his
demonstration. He was wielding a very poorly hafted broad ax in a manner
that as ineffective and ill-informed. After his demonstration I chose to
talk to him (I could have walked away and just talked about him.) and asked
him who he had learned his technique from. I could have told him he was
doing it wrong but instead I asked him to tell me who he had learned from.
He is now a good friend and has learned to use the tool more effectively.

When I was teaching at the Mt lebanon field school last year I had the
opportunity to use the approach of getting into the "boots of the builder"
to help the students understand the building we were working on by learnig
to see the way the building was built through the builders eyes. I think
that's why a lot a joy comes from working on old buildings; it's easier to
relate to the "who' as well as the what. Kind of like why working on old
cars is more fun than working on new ones only different. The ability to
extend the "linkages between people" beyond those of us who are alive today.
The time machine.

What gap?

Rudy