BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Listserv that makes holes in Manhattan schist for free! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2007 09:56:26 -0100
Brian,

I have been using it for more than a year. Not very much interested in
the video portion of it though have used it in combination with GoTo
MyPC where you can call up the the remote PC and two people use the one
PC together at the same time. Used that method to work out an AIA
contract. I am interested in Cuylers application of the technology.

For us if we want to push a whole lot of graphic information we go w/
ftp or Avvenu (another free service)... a lot of project related file
sharing going on w/ Avvenu. One of us goes to the project site, takes
photos, then shares them with Avvenu. FTP: I recently sent like 800+
photos to a contact in the UK via ftp for a building survey for them to
fabricate replacement masonry. The entire transaction-load of the
project had one phone call (to give them our bank account number for a
wire transfer), and a bunch of e-mails. We had to pay attention to time
differences, for one thing -- a strain to have to try to balance ongoing
here-and-now business with real-time interface with someone who is in a
cycle 5 hours ahead -- and the e-mails kept a record of the
communications (though I have looked into what would be required to
record Skype calls). If we had gone with Skype, or any other audio
media, we would have had problems understanding our mutual accents and
cultural idiom.... an essential feature of the project was to figure out
how to reduce confusion in the communications process. One manner in
which to do that is to make the communication pipe restricted so that
the tendency is to reduce inclusion of nonessential information.

Degression here... one of the early conversations had to do with measure
and tolerance as in the UK they use metric whereas here we us Imperial
measure (as they say). And yet, all shop drawings they send to the US
need to be converted from metric to Imperial, which they do through
AutoCAD... which results in measures on the drawings such as 2' 3-5/16"
which is an unheard of tolerance for masonry units in the 'field'. I
wonder what the conversation is when the mason gets the shop drawings
with these sorts of labels to the dimensions? We settled on doing all of
our measure at our end in metric in order 1) to minimize conversion
inaccuracies and 2) as we found we could be more accurate in our
recording the information more quickly. This despite that the original
units were not built to metric dimension... for which on occasion we did
field conversions to see if the typical units that we found made sense.

We use the Skype Out feature, which you do have to pay for, as an
additional phone line where we can make calls to any phone number. The
phone number listed on our business card (631) 731-1700 goes to Skype,
so it acts as a message system. As a message system it was not very
efficient as 1) a whole lot of folks who called the wrong number called
us and 2) for months at a time I would forget to see if we had any
calls, considering it was like 20:1 wrong numbers it was difficult to
pay attention.... and those calls that do get through keep me more than
busy. Recently we got a small box that plugs in USB and hooks a regular
phone to the computer to interface w/ the Skype and now when someone
calls the Skype number it is usually answered. As long as I am not
answering it as the essential information that needs to be communicated
in most phone calls is of the yes/no order but often laden with a high
load of social static and on my end it tends to mean pressure to do 5
more things when I'm still trying to get done with the last fifteen.
There are other people around me much better at using the phone than I am.

On another note, technological collaboration has a lot to do with how
people think, to be specific some of us think very quickly and some of
us think more slowly on the surface. If two people both think on the
surface quickly then a phone conversation may be balanced and efficient.
For me, honestly, I don't think all that fast on the surface. I can go
through an hour of conversation and not understand a damned thing about
it until the next day. That is NOT with every conversation that I have,
but I have had those kinds of conversations. I can absorb information
for several hours but not digest and process it until days, weeks or
months later. Neither am I particularly good at having pre-packaged
answers... a good way to slow me down in a conversation is to ask me
what interesting things I have been up to.

Lately I find that some people are frustrated that they expect that if
they send me an e-mail then I must have seen it and that I am
belligerant if I do not respond. Even though they have my phone numberS.
If I leave the office behind on a Friday, work all weekend in the field
(where I refuse to carry instant e-mail) then return on Sunday, and
sleep on Monday (exhausted), then spend Tuesday in the field -- where
the work is -- when I get to my office in the afternoon and check my
e-mails it is like a national tragedy has occured. I want to be nice
about it, I want to project a level headed attitude, but sometimes I
just get really pissed and worn out. At those times I find it best to
stand up and leave the building.

][<en