Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 08:17:38 -0600
7bit
From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
michael raiti wrote:

>I have been trying the Rosedale diet for a couple of
>weeks and have a question about protein comsumption.
>Rosedale warns about consuming too much protein
>because excess protein is converted to sugar which is
>not desirable to keep the body in the mode of
>fat-burning.  My question is if I am eating liberal
>amount of fat, enough to supply all of my energy
>needs, how does excess protein get metabolized?

I am not the metabolic expert that can answer all these questions perfectly,
but IMHO:
* some of that extra protein is eliminated in urine
* some of it is still converted to sugar
* a certain amount is used for muscle repair
where else can it go?  If it's building up in tissues in unexpected
forms this is worse than any of the above uses, especially for
somebody with fibromyalgia.

I'd also say that your protein intake is nearly twice what it ought
to be.  After a couple of weeks of low or no carb, you should have
made your conversion.  Ketosis is a sign of it.  Many people in
long-term successful low-carb diets eat about 70% fat, 20% protein,
and 10% carbs. Steffanson ate only very fatty meats in his year on
meat-only, at least 70% fat.

 From another post, you said you were losing weight and this was bad
because you're already thin.  So why go zero-carb? If you want to
avoid grains, make friends with root vegetables.  A little temperate-zone
fruit wouldn't hurt.  You could consider a plan like Rob Faigin: carb-load
meals twice a week which are low in fat and protein, the rest of the meals
are low-carb. This prevents some of the undesirable metabolic changes of
long-term low-carb eating, and still does not turn you into a sugar-burner.
(Rob Faigin's book is Natural Hormonal Enhancement; his website
is http://www.extique.com )

On the sleep problems, starvation makes you "wired" in a particular way;
I've noticed it when fasting.  I think it is to spark the starving person to
redouble their efforts to get food. It's kind of a jumpy feeling. Doesn't go
very well with good sleep.

Good luck on it all,
    Lynnet