ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Hooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2006 00:17:43 -0600
Phil,

The thing I'm learning to focus on is being a friend.  I say that all of
you, (mankind) are my friends.  Even if you want to be my enemy, that's your
choice, not mine.  I will not look down on you, even if you have the worst
of disabilities and/or an inability to communicate, or because of how you
look, think or behave.    If you confess your foibles, I will not belittle
you or give up on you.  I will apologize when I say or do anything wrong and
has hurt you.  I will also have the courage to set boundaries, saying no
when things are going too far.  Yes, there may be times/situations in which
I cannot, in good conscience, associate with you if you are deliberately
hurting yourself and others, but even then, I would tell you that I am still
your friend, with your best interest in mind, and that being a friend does
not always mean that I condone what you are doing.  When your eyes are
opened to the truth and you respond in repentance, I will be there for you.
If we have, or are forming, a healthy relationship, even the little things I
do can make a big difference for you.  I will support your good interests.
For instance, If you like to go shopping, I will take the time to shop with
you, if you want the company.  Or, if you can't drive, and I was able to, I
would invite you, and pick you up and do things with you regularly that you
enjoy.  I will call you at least once a week, even if only to ask how you're
doing and what's going on in your life. If you enjoy joking around,
talking/doing goofy things, and teasing and being teased and laughed with,
Iwill do that with you too.  When you are down and things aren't going well,
I will listen and try to stand in your shoes, being sorry that you are
hurting, learning to bear your burdens, as we are told to do in the
Scriptures.  I will introduce you to my own best friend, who will always be
available, always dependable, never tired or cranky, and can be all
personalities that I need Him to be.  He knows me the most, understands me
the most, yet loves me the most, and can do anything that needs to be done
in my life.  He will be that kind of friend for you too, if you accept His
friendship and do what He commands, as He told His disciples in the book of
John.  If you get to know and love Him, He, Jesus Christ, will take you and
me to our eternal home., where we will have everlasting joy in His presence.
We'll never have to say goodbye.

Sharon