Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:32:31 -0400

Hi all -

Thank you so very much to everyone who replied to my question about
thanksgiving recipes!  This is the first time I have posted to the list and
I'm amazed by the 50+ responses I got with recipes, websites, and words of
encouragement and support for my very first gf turkey day!  Due to the
overwhelming number of responses, I've tried to summarize some general
tips/advice below, and the rest I've organized into word documents with
recipes for desserts, turkey/gravy, and stuffing/dressing which I've
attached.  Hopefully it works and everyone can access these recipes, but
this is still a really large message.  If for some reason you can't see the
recipes, please kindly let me know and I'll do my best to rectify the
problem.  I plan to try out some of these ideas and recipes in the next few
weeks prior to the real day, so I may be able to add my own thoughts of
what worked well post-thanksgiving.

Many people said that just substituting cooked brown rice or gf bread/gf
cornbread in regular stuffing/dressing recipes works fine.  A few people
mentioned that you may have to toast or dry out the bread in the oven at
~200 degrees prior to adding the liquid/spices you'd normally use in your
non-gf recipes.  Also, some people specifically mentioned that you should
not use gf bread that you didn't like in the first place, because you won't
like the stuffing either.  Brown rice works better than white rice because
it holds its texture and doesn't break down to mush like white rice
does.

As for gravy, the general consensus is that you can substitute any gf flour
or cornstarch and make gravy as you normally would.  Many said that the
cornstarch worked/tasted better than the gf flours.  You need to be careful
to add the cornstarch to some water first or it will clump when added to a
hot liquid.

I didn't get quite as many responses for pies (altho lots for desserts in
general), other than that they can be difficult and many people just go
crustless instead.  I have included those recipes/advice I did get tho.

Also, there are some more recipes summarized in a posting on October 15,
2003 under the subject "Thanksgiving stuffing and gravy summary".  I was
alerted as well to a support group website in TX where there are some
thanksgiving and dessert recipes under "Recipes": www.northtexasgig.com

Thanks so much again to everyone!!

Angie

------------------------
The original Gluten-Free Gourmet cookbook by Betty Hagman has a number of
good recipes.
------------------------
I just baked a "trial" pumpkin pie using Breads by Anna's pie crust mix and
Libby's pumpkin pie recipe. It was delicious.
---------------------
Bette Hagman has the best recipe in her "Bread' cookbook for cornbread <
(that can be used in stuffing)>! If you want to use white rice bread, I
would order the French bread from www.everybodyeats.com and freeze it till
you're ready to use it.
---------------------
I use the flour made by Mr Ritts in Philadelphia and then I can make any
recipe I want. They taste just like the original and you can use his flour
just as the recipe stipulates not figuring out some ratio. I have been
using them since someone tipped me off. They mail everywhere. The flour is
the best because it frees you up and other guests need never know.
---------------------
Last Thanksgiving I made a pumpkin pie using cornstarch instead of flour.
The recipe came out of "The Gluten Free Kitchen". It's kind of a pain to
handle--you need to roll it out on wax paper and use the paper to help get
it in the pie pan, but the crust was very good. No one seemed to notice
that the pie was gluten free.
---------------------
I made the stuffing recipe from Bette Hagaman's book and it was delicious
(see 'Rice Bread Stuffing' in attached stuffing recipes). Everyone loved it
and it was fairly easy. I also use the Chebe bread mix for our rolls.
People liked those too. We made a pumpkin pie without a crust and did not
miss the crust at all.
---------------------
You can pretty much make most cake and cookie recipes substituting GF flour
for wheat flour. It will turn out different, but good, still and all. The
trick for cakes and quick breads is use 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar
gum, or better yet a 50%-50% mix for each cup of cake flour and increase
the leavening (baking powder and/or baking soda) in the recipe by 50%. For
cookies just use 1/4 teaspoon of the gums. You can bake quite excellent
yeast-risen breads, but it is better to use either Bette Hagaman's bread
book or Carol Fenster's Wheat Free Recipes and Menus (Carol recommended
this when I wrote to her asking her about yeast breads.)
The recipes that will seem least like celiac recipes are those breads and
cakes with apple sauce, pumpkin, zucchini, etc. Celiac recipes have a
tendency to leave a dry consistency in the mouth. Commercial breads get
around this by adding lots of fat.
Neither my wife nor I (I'm the celiac.) have not been successful with
conventional flour-based pie recipes; however, I understand that the food-
processor pie crusts are good. Baking a cookie as a pie crust has been the
best, although the cookie crumb recipes are good, but tend to be much
higher in fat.
Rice-based flour mixes are light and airy; however, rice leaves a dry mouth
taste and becomes rock-hard the next day. That having been said, Bette
Hagman's dessert book has a lemon bar that is beyond excellent. We fooled
the baker's wife with that one. The secret is to double the lemon filling.
If you make your own flour mixes you will save a lot of money, and you will
be able to make pretty much what you can buy as a pre-mix. It is unlikely
that any of the mixes we make costs more than about $1.50 per pound. If you
live by an Asian store, get your potato starch, tapioca flour and corn
starch there instead of WFM.
If you want to buy really good bread on the internet and have it shipped,
try Celiac Specialties LLC. I have no financial interest in them. But I am
impressed with their quality and speed. Still, we bake our own.