From:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2006 20:05:59 -0500

In the April 2005 issue of Kitchen & Cook:, the Culinary Institute's monthly newsletter, there appeared several recipes for rhubarb.  Here is the one I liked best, which I make when rhubarb is in season.

BAKED RHUBARB.  Recipe of Elana Raider, CHE

 2 lb rhubarb, cut into 1" pieces

1/4 tsp ground ginger

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1.5 cups sugar

1/2 cup orange juice (I use less)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees . Combine rhubarb, nutmeg and sugar in non-reactive bowl.  Transer mixture into a 9x12 baking dish.  Drizzle with orange juice and cover with foil.

2. Bake 30 minutes. Uncover, stir and bake for an additional 10 minutes, until rhubarb is tender.

Rhubarb jam
half pint jars
5 cups rhubarb
2 oranges
5 cups sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
Cut rhubarb into pieces. Make sure rhubarb is young. Peel oranges and run them through a blender or food processor to grind them up, not the peels, the oranges.  Wash then sterilize the jars for 10 minutes in boiling water. Leave in water till you are ready to use them. Bring water to boil over the lids and rings and level them there.  Cook the rhubarb and oranges with   sugar over low heat, slowly bringing the mixture to a boil. Add the cinnamon and the cloves if you want a spicier jam. If not leave them out. Cook for about 35 minutes till it is  thick but not cement.  Remove from heat and skim off foam.  Fill the hot jars with jam, leaving 1/4 inch of headspace. Wipe the jar rims clean with the top of a towel dipped in the boiling water bath. Place the hot lids on the jars and screw rings on firmly. Process in boiling water bath (NOTE: I leave this step out when I make jam, just put the filled sealed jars upside down and let them cool.)

chop up some rhubarb (1-2 cups) and put in the bottom of a 9X9 pan
sprinkle with sugar and a little cornstarch
make a batter with Pamela's pancake mix using 2 egg whites and a little milk or buttermilk and some sugar (make it as sweet as you like)- the batter should be a bit thicker than pancake batter
I use a pyrex pan with a lid, but you can cover with foil
Bake at 350 till not jiggly in the middle, about 30 min   I do this with any fruit, but rhubarb is our favorite!

I have rhubarb in my garden and love it.  I just cut it into 1 " pieces, add a bit of water and simmer it until it breaks down into a puree.  Then, before I sweeten it, I add one tsp of Baking Soda to two or three cups of rhubarb.  Stir while it foams, turns green, then returns to the proper pink colour.  This neutralizes most of the acid making it more pleasant to eat and it requires less sugar.

 Then while it is still warm, I mix in sugar about a quarter of a cup at time until it tastes good.

Just a thought.  Does he like cinnamon?  A friend of ours is eatin 1-2 Tablespoons daily on the advice of a holitic doc.  Says it has done wonders for his cholesterol.

Rhubarb is going to require a lot of sugar, anyway you fix it, so that may not be the best alternative....

RHUBARB RASPBERRY MUFFINS

 Oven 375

Mix together:

1C GF Flour

1 C sorghum

1 tea baking powder

¼ tea soda

½ tea salt

¼ C sugar

Add and stir gently:

2 egg whites

1 C buttermilk

¼ C melted butter

Fold in:

½ C chopped rhubarb

½ C raspberries

Bake in greased muffin tins, 15 – 20 minutes.

NOTE:  powdered egg whites and powdered buttermilk worked fine.

Rhubarb, strawberries, a little tapioca. Bake and put a little bit of brown sugar and low fat margarine on top to brown before serving. You can add a little almond flour to margarine and brown sugar mixture to  firm up the topping. Serve with non fat cool whip. Good!

Rhubarb Sauce:
2 lbs (about 6 cups) rhubarb, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup water
Place rhubarb in a casserole with a tight fitting lid.
In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Bring to a boil , then
pour syrup over the rhubarb.
Cover and place in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes - DO NOT STIR. Remove from
oven and let cook in casserole.

My Grandmother's Frozen Strawberry-Rhubarb Jello Jam:

7 cups cut up rhubarb
5 cups sugar
1 6 oz pkg strawberry Jello
Combine the rhubarb and sugar in a large kettle and allow to set a few
minutes. Place over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Cook until rhubarb
looks spreadable.  Remove from the heat and add Jello and stir until well dissolved.
Pour into jars and let set overnight. Freeze.
It's a lot of sugar, but  no cholesterol!!

*******
*******