From:
Richard Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 17:52:05 000
Hi folks,

THe question of whether or not the speech synthesizer in the
op's rig could read out signal reports such as five nine
etc. got me thinking about this, and it's one of my pet
peeves.

THere is a reason that the rst system, that's r s and t as
in romeo sierra tango for those of you who's speech synths
don't do kind things to it) is shorthand for readability,
strength and tone.
SO to answer the op's question, nope your speech synth in
your radio can't do that.  ONly you can judge readability,
and tone for a cw signal.  nOW comes the rant part.

I work a lot of guys on the paper chasing frequencies who
never give anybody a readability lesss than five unless the
signal is almost too weak tohear.  I"ll hear a station with
rf feedback up the wazoo and some guy gives him a five nine.
WHat's with that?  HE sounds like something the dog left in
the yard and this dude gives him a 59 report.

HOnest signal reporting is a proud part of the ham radio
tradition.  WE should educate ourselves about what poor
signals indicate about the state of the transmitter in
question.  GIving honest reports that clue the operator on
the other end in about problems is part of what being a good
operator is about.

73 de nf5b

Richard Webb,
Electric Spider Productions,
Eads Tn.

Braille:  support true literacy for the blind.