From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:15:43 -0500
When I first started strict paleo, it was spring of 1997, I
believe--when this list was first started.  I had already lost quite a
bit of weight on the Zone diet.  I switched to paleo after reading
Neanderthin (previous edition), and began to eat much more liberal
amounts of SFA, and considerably less carbs.  I had blood work done in
June, and was expecting low cholesterol.  I was dismayed at my results,
which I posted in this message:
http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?A2=ind9706&L=PALEOFOOD&P=R24992&I=-3

Between then and now, I've tried many "tweaks" of paleo, and non-paleo
lowcarb, and at various times (such as recently!) fallen off the wagon
altogether.

What I'm doing now is LCIF (lowcarb intermittent fasting), i.e., I'm
eating one large meal a day, consisting of plenty of fatty meat, and a
vegetable.  I have a yogurt or a piece of fruit an hour or so later.
Thus, I'm fasting for 22 out of every 24 hours.  I'm losing weight (5
lbs. since a week ago today).  Even though it *feels* like a humongous
meal--which is psychologically satisfying and makes compliance easier
for me--I'm clearly still running a caloric deficit.  I posted my recent
lab results, and I expect I'll get another test in a month or two.   My
expectation is that my TG will drop to under 100, and my HDL will either
stay at 55 or go up a tiny bit.  I won't be surprised if my LDL goes up,
but then again the fasting effect may push it down.  Hard to predict.

Todd Moody