From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:19:36 -0500
Hi Christie,

Well now. California's its own special problem. I think Riley once
said that if not for California, fully half of his enforcement
problems would be gone. If you really want to hear some raunchy and
raw stuff, the 147.435 repeater (yes, that one) in Los Angeles streams
on the Internet, and it really is as bad as you've heard it is. Note,
also, the number of calls that required the learning of morse. Just as
a point of interest.

You're right on on all your points, though. I'm not convinced that
changing entrance requirements will substantially change our numbers,
but it'll be great if we do get a lot of great new ops. Here's the
thing, though. The test has always been in a state of flux. The test
Howard took (not to pick on you, Howard) was undoubtedly harder than
the one I took. The test that was given in the 1930's was certainly a
different animal than today's test. I think that you had to do quite a
lot more in the way of diagrams and so forth, and it was almost
certainly not multiple guess. Interestingly though (or maybe not), the
code test was only 10 words a minute...so there's nothing magic about
5/13/20. Just to put this into some perspective, I'd like to hear from
some of our non-US friends about testing. Anyway, even though my test
was probably easier than Howard's, I don't feel as though I got my
license handed to me. And if you think that what you studied on your
test prepared you completely for on-the-air operation, I suspect that
if you were honest with yourself, you'd see that this wasn't the case;
that in fact what prepared you for on-the-air operation was a
combination of your elmer's guidance and making lots of mistakes on
the air (like overmodulating your radio, or operating with a crappy
buzzy cw signal or getting into your neighbor's TV or ...) So really
howard, the solution to your concerns of unskilled operators and
too-easily-accessible power tools like speech processors is really
very simple. Be an elmer to some new hams. When you see operating
habits that could stand some help, gently offer that help. Off the
air, please, and without embarrassing the new fellow. Remember the
Amateur's Code. The tests won't make or break us, we will. Wanna help
me make us, or are you gonna help someone else break us?

Here's the Amateur's Code:

                                                      The Amateur's
Code

   The Radio Amateur is

   CONSIDERATE...never knowingly operates in such a way as to lessen
the pleasure of others.

   LOYAL...offers loyalty, encouragement and support to other
amateurs, local clubs, and the American Radio Relay League,
   through which Amateur Radio in the United States is represented
nationally and internationally.

   PROGRESSIVE...with knowledge abreast of science, a well-built and
efficient station and operation above reproach.

   FRIENDLY...slow and patient operating when requested; friendly
advice and counsel to the beginner; kindly assistance,
   cooperation and consideration for the interests of others. These
are the hallmarks of the amateur spirit.

   BALANCED...radio is an avocation, never interfering with duties
owed to family, job, school or community.

   PATRIOTIC...station and skill always ready for service to country
and community.

   --The original Amateur's Code was written by Paul M. Segal, W9EEA,
in 1928.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV: Executive In Training!
Independent Watkins Manager #361534

Shop our catalog of over 350 products for your home and health...and
check out our fabulous 2006 Holiday Gift and Entertaining Line!
http://www.tastyshop.net
...And see how a Watkins business can improve your life in our free
Ebook: http://www.tastybiz.com