From:
Ham Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 23:09:25 -0400
Just a slight difference with Lew's post.  Typically, if it is sporatic E,
you will find the MUF and things from there down in frequencies will be
hopping.  With tropoducting, it is typically a VHF/UHF phenomenom, so if you
see it on FM broadcast frequencies, you would certainly expect to see it on
144MHZ.  Usually, as Lew notes, you will get longer distances with sporatic
E as you often get multiple hops.  The other thing you see with Sporatic E
is that if the one station from Florida starts fading out, you might see a
station from Virginia or the Carolinas come in quickly and fade as the
ionized layer disintegrates.

Steve, K8SP