From:
"M. J. P. Senk" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2006 20:29:47 -0500
My first operating position was on the kitchen table.  I had a mag mount on the range or atop the refrigerator.
A local guy loaned me a Gonset 6 meter rig.  It was ancient even in 1976.  I used a quarter wave hunk of wire in the SO-239 on top.  It was hung from a piece of tape on the wall.  Imagine my shock when I called CQ 6 CQ 6 meters and a ham replied from 10 miles away.

Did I mention what that 6 Meter. AM rig did to television reception around the block?  This was when most people used rabbit ears on the top of the set.  Of course, the local CB people had their linears and Moonraker antennas.

I guess this a "ham history" post since I got my Novice in Jan. 1976 and upgraded to Tech around the fall of 1976.

Mark WB3CAI