From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 20:16:07 -0400
Hi Andy.

This radio is really rough from an accessibility stand point.  It does not
use a voice synthesizer, and some of the level controls for power, RF Gain
and the like are slide controls that are really really touchy.  I owned
one, but it was when I still had a lot of vision.  It was a fun radio when
I could see, but I wouldn't ever try it now.

If you happen across a Kenwood TS690S, that would be a much better choice,
especially if you can get the AT450 auto tuner with it.  The '690 takes the
VS2 voice synthesizer, and you can run an aftermarket auto tuner such as
the MFJ991, MFJ993, LDG Electronics AT100Pro or LDG Electronics AT200Pro
with it.  The '690 has the connector on the back for the Kenwood interface
to control these tuners, making it so you just hit the TUNE button on the
front of the radio and the auto tuner does the rest.

I own the TS690S presently, and it is a great radio for blind users.  The
menus are very minimal--they are really only used to tell the radio what
filters have been installed, and otherwise every thing is controlled from
the front panel.  Frankly, in comparison with the TS2000S, the TS690S has a
nicer receiver.  It is quieter, and I like the AGC action on it
better.  Also, if you can get a decent set of crystal filters for it, it is
nicer on CW.

That's my two cents worth.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 04:23 PM 6/9/2006 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello All,  Does anyone know any thing about this Kenwood rig the TS680,  I
>believe it has six meters on this rig not quite sure.
>Regards
>Andrew Shipp
>
>Located Northamptonshire  UK
>
>Home phone...+44,0,1604 517007