From:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:20:34 -0700
Hi Andy,

Unfortunately, when you don't use a radio for a bit, you forget the basics
of it.  I'll give it a shot though.  Here's what the manual says about it.
First, I would make sure you are in VFO mode.  Set the frequency and mode
you wish to store on the VFO.  Then, hit the QMI key, rote the multi knob
until you here the number you want and then hit the QMI again.  that sounds
like all there is to it.  I apologize but it's been months and months since
I had to store something in mine and even then I think I did it wish Ham
Radio Deluxe.

As for knowing when you have tone on, do the same thing many of us do with
handhelds.  Repeatedly press the tone key with the rig unsquelched.  You
should hear a couple of time when there is receiver noise and then at least
one where there is not.  I can't remember if the 480 has DCS but this might
account for a second silent press.  The next time you do it you will be back
to noise.  This is typically off for any tone at all.  The very next press
will be tone on transmit.

I hope I'm remembering right.  If not, some of you who use the 480 on a
daily basis please correct me and set Andy aright.  I hope that helps a
little and very 73.
Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX