From:
Stephen Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 21:45:27 -0400
This is a great list to be on...a lot of questions can be answered here.  My
name is Steve, my call is N4PKJ and I am not visually impaired.  I am an O&M
instructor working for the state agency in Virginia (Staunton Office).  You
all helped with me with a ham testing question a few weeks ago.

I have some O&M students who are techies and developing an interest in gps
for the blind.  Some are fairly savy though not hams and have means.  Where
can discussion be had as to which units work best, features, the
future...etc.  Or is this as good a place as any?  I have seem some of the
units work but have not had the opportunity to really play with one myself.
I am generally and specifically familiar with gps operation as I own a
Garmin Legend C.  Works great from the car.  But from considering it from
the stand point of a blind traveler locating specific landmarks, I am not
sure.  No specific question but as to what is best, or where to follow the
discussion.  Some one said that a "major" improvement in general gps
useability was coming out due to the europeans having launched a new series
of satelites which again improve the accuracy  of gps? Is this true or just
an urban legend?..thanks...de Steve Ferguson/N4PKJ