From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 23:16:45 -0700
If you are using a mono ear phone, with a mono plug on it, the ground
portion of the head phone plug is shorting to ground the audio input on the
3 conducter jack on the radio.
This can be better described as a stereo plug with the tip as receive audio,
the center ring as tx audio and the rest as the ground sleve.
So, if you put a jack in that hasn't got the extra center ring, the ground
sleve will short out the tx audio pin to ground and prevent audio from
coming through from the HT's microphone.
Try a set of stereo headphones, and the problem should go away.
Also, insure the jack is pushed in all the way to prevent shorting with a
stereo (3 conducter) jack.
Some HT's also have a separate chassy ground on the outer metal ring of the
audio jack as well as an audio ground inside, so you may get reduced audio
output to the head phones if you are using a plastic jacketted headphone
plug that doesn't make electrical contact with the outer ring.
When using a speaker mike, the internal and ring grounds are connected to
permit the most audio.
As for the audio being muted while both sides are set to the same frequency,
yes, this is common with the dual band mobiles as well...probably something
to do with the design of the internal audio amplifier.
I don't own an F6A, but if there are separate volume controls for each band,
try setting one slightly higher or lower then the other and you should be
able to eliminate the muting factor.  This seemed to work with the mobile
rigs.
73
Colin, V A6BKX