From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2006 16:06:19 -0500
Howard,

I've never put much faith in the "whistle test."  If you really want
to find out what your 480 does on SSB, use a tone source such as an
audio signal generator operating at a known output, preferably one
that represents 100% modulation.  Also, consider that your ALC may be
set up to limit the radio so it doesn't overmodulate, which may mean
that it's operating at a reduced power level.  You might want to
check the specs in the manual to see how SSB power output is determined.

Steve