From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2006 13:31:14 -0700
If your tests are fool proof, then you have a problem with your power
amplifier in the radio.
A 60 to 65 per cent drop in power indicates fairly conclusively that its an
internal issue and the radio will need repairs.
The stated output is 100 watts...now if you see 90, or 105, that's within
reasonable range, but a 65 per cent reduction is obviously a repair problem.
If your testing methods are not in fact fool proof however, you may be
skewing your results in some way or other and there may well be nothing
wrong with the power section of the rig.
If you can get near to full power out of the rig on CW, then its in the way
you are testing the SSB side...since the tone is created internally and is
fed directly in instead of passing through the audio filters and being input
through a microphone.
Yes, i don't own a TS480, but bassed on what you said, others experiencing
the same problems are either not testing properly, or all 480's are garbage
for ssb power output.
73
Colin, V A6BKX