From:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2006 00:17:37 -0400
Hi Phil,

I've owned several HF amps but I'm currently running an MFJ ALS600 solid
state amp that runs 600 watts output.  As with other MFJ stuff that I have
purchased, I had to do a little tweaking to get the unit perking along like
it should, but since I did that, no problems at all.  I get between 550 and
600 watts out and have never had a distortion complaint.  The only thing
that you have to keep in mind is that you need either a flat antenna or an
antenna tuner that can let the amp see a low SWR or your power will fall way
back, the amp will kick out, or you'll blow the final transistors.
Personally, I use a noise bridge to pre tune my antenna and I've had no
problem with power drop off or the amp kicking out.  I would never go back
to tube amps, they are just too inefficient for me.
Bob, [log in to unmask], K8LR
Skype Name: bobtinn
Life is GOOD!