From:
Christopher Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 13:38:07 -0400
Guess we've beaten this one to death, but:
The classco 9900cw does what Phil is looking for.  It costs $50 and does
a nice job.  Even though you can record voice tags for phone numbeers, I
don't find the unit very intuitive to use.  It's easy to review the
caller list and delete entries.  For anything else you really need the
manual in front of you unless you use it all the time.  Even with the
manual the unit is not totally accessible.

I just went out to the classco site and noticed a Voice Announcer 500
unit for $20.  It only reads the numbers with no provision for recording
names.  However, if I were to buy another unit, I might go with this
unit since it doesn't have a learning curve.

I also have a panasonic phone with talking caller id.  Unfortunately,
this one does not read the phone numbers but will attempt to read the
name if it comes through with the caller id info.  So, for instance,
when
you get a telemarketer it will say "number available".  Without the name
being spoken, you don't know whether it is a telemarketer or a regular
call with missing name information.

If I were designing a caller id box, I'd have it read either the name,
if available, or else the phone number.  But for Phil, get the Classco
9900cw with a caviat of marginal accessibility.

73
Chris w1gm