From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2006 07:58:41 -0700
Well, if you look inside one of these antennas, most of them are made out
of pretty light coax.  I had one come apart, the top piece came unscrewed
and fell to the ground.  The top half just hung down as it was just rg 58
or smaller coax.  The commercial ones, not dual band though, are very
heavy indeed and of course, cost 7 or 8 hundred bucks.  The design of
these is as I recall quarter wave pieces of coax, center to shield, shield
to center and so on.  In the commercial ones, they use half inch hard
line.  Years ago there were articles in q s t or  somewhere that described
how to take a commercial antenna cut for say 150 and move it down to two.
You basically put foil sleves along the length of the antenna.  This added
paralel capacatance for each element and effective lowered the frequency.
I'd love to find these areicles.
73s
Butch Bussen
wa0vjr