From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:11:22 -0400
On Aug 29, 2006, at 10:49 AM, John Miller wrote:

> I never took the 5 WPM, I went in figuring I'd pass the 5 easy and
> then try
> the 13, they talked me in to taking the 13 WPM first and, well, I
> passed so
> I never even took the 5.

LOL! That's how I passed my 20 WPM the first time (by accident)! Of
course, I was having so much fun that, after I passed my general the
next month (remember, I said i flunked it the month before, when I
passed the 20!), I was having so much fun that I didn't take the
advanced for two years...so I took the 20 again and passed it.
Apparently, it was rare to pass with perfect copy, because I had lots
of OT's congratulating me on my perfect copy. Then, I was having so
much fun that I didn't go back to take the extra for two more years!
Only reason I went then is because my buddy Ken, K5IQ (now a silent
key, God rest his soul, one of the finest men--and finest ops--I ever
knew) said, "Oh! you can do 20 WPM? Here, let's see you do it!", and
he sent some code on the repeater we were on, and when I copied, he
said, "Oh! What's your excuse? I'll see you at the test tomorrow."
Well, Ken being Ken, I just said "Yes sir" and went to take the test!
After cramming the entirety of the question pool into my head that
night (no joke, it really wasn't that hard!), I went to get the
extra. And passed my 20 for the third and final time. Thanks, Ken :)

Do you think I remember any of the stuff on the advanced or extra
tests? Heck...I don't know if I do or not. Seeing as how I haven't
looked at it in, what...14 years...I probgably don't. But I reckon
I'd better do something about that if I'm really gonna take the
Canadian exam.

Speaking of which, anyone got an accessible program that can make up
a sample Canadian test? The one provided by IC blows chunks.