From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2006 19:58:24 -0400
Hi.

I couldn't afford or justify the cost of a Collins either in their
day.  The difference is that there are a lot of fairly nice new radios in
my price range nowadays, and in the days of Collins, I was buying mostly
used gear, primarily Heathkit stuff.  And the budget radios of today are a
world better than the budget radios of that time.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 11:40 AM 7/8/2006 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi Walt,
>
>Interesting.  In fact, we have just got used to ham radio equipment
>getting less expensive.
>
>Relative to average wages, think about the old gear such as collins,
>kw e.t.c.
>
>My ts-950sdx was getting close on =A33,000 when I got it when they
>first came out.  Taking inflation in to account, I suppose the ic7800
>is about the same.
>
>Just more budget rigs around now.
>

>On 6 Jul 2006 at 18:29, Walt Smith wrote:
>
> > That's peanuts compared to what some folks put into home theater speaker=
>
> > systems nowadays. I know one guy who has over fifty thousand dollars tie=
>d up
> > in speakers alone, not counting the electronics to drive them.
> >
> >  --
> >  Walt Smith - Clearwater, FL
> >

> > __________ NOD32 1.1649 (20060707) Information __________

> > http://www.eset.com