From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2006 10:32:37 -0400
Hi.

Yes I can, because I have owned both radios.  The Kenwood TS680S was a
Kenwood TS140S that had the option for VOX removed, a preamp added, and
coverage on 6 meters at 10 watts.  The Kenwood TS690S was a Kenwood TS450S
with extended receive to 60 MHz, and 6 meters added at 50 watts of power.

The TS680S required purchase of the VOX4 accessory VOX unit if you wanted
to run VOX operation.  It had no voice option and no auto tuner option.

The TS690S uses a VS2 voice synthesizer, and can take an AT450 auto tuner
which provides auto tuner operation on 80 through 10 meters.  Ignoring the
fact that the auto tuner doesn't cover 160 meters or 6 meters, it is a
fabulous tuner--one of the best internal auto tuners I've ever worked
with.  On the bands that it covers, it actually outperforms the LDG
AT200Pro auto tuner, and the AT200Pro is not a bad tuner.

Unless it was marketed elsewhere in the world, and just not marketed here,
I do not ever recall a radio that was a TS440S plus 6 meters.  However,
there was a radio that was a cosmetic match for the TS440S.  That would
have been the Kenwood TS670S, which covered 40, 15, 12, 10, and 6 meters at
10 watts, and had general coverage receive with the addition of a general
coverage receive module.  The TS670S also had a speech option.  It used the
Kenwood VS1 voice synthesizer.  I wonder if you are thinking of this radio
instead of the TS680S.

The TS670S wasn't as popular as the newer 6 meter radios, but it was a
pretty decent radio.  I had a friend who was blind, and has now passed
away, who had one of these radios and if someone has a chance to pick up
one of these radios, it is absolutely worth picking up.  The voice boards
can still be readily gotten from the PIEXX company, and I think it took the
same tone board as the TS711A and the TS811A.  If this is the case (it
would be the TU5 board), it is also available from the PIEXX Company.

Incidentally, the TS670S was introduced at the same time as the TS440S, the
TS711A, and the TS811A, and if you had deep enough pockets to pick up the
four of them, they looked pretty sharp sitting side by side.

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]