From:
Mike Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 00:57:44 -0500
    Well, Don, I am nearly as old a fart as you are.  I don't think my
history in ham radio is as interesting as many I have read here, but for
what it's worth--

My dad was a ham going back to the late 1920's, so I grew up around the
hobby.  I learned the International Morse alphabet and numbers by the time I
was 4 years old, but I didn't have the interest or concentration to do
anything with it at that time.  I enjoyed listening to him talk with his
buddies on 160 meters on Sunday mornings, and I would try to pick out
letters and the occasional word when he worked CW on 80 or 40 meters.

I went away to school at the Illinois School for the Blind (which has gone
through a couple more name changes over the years) and I took a receiver
with me--a Halicrafters
S41G--which I used mostly as a broadcast radio, but also enjoyed trying to
hear my dad occasionally.  I found that our library had the Radio Amateur's
License manual, and I began studying that.  I understand they established a
ham club there well after I was gone.

By the time I was nine or ten, I began to get a little more serious about
getting a license.  My dad tried to teach me something about circuits, but
he really didn't have much of a clue of how to go about it.  I can
appreciate his efforts in retrospect; he would draw a mirror-image schematic
of a Colpitts oscillator, for example,and then punch out the image with a
Braille stylus.  They were too detailed for me to understand, and he did it
in the scale that it might be in a book or magazine.  But it was a valiant
effort, though frustrating to both of us.  I don't remember when I first
encountered The Braille Technical Press and Bob Gunderson's method of verbal
description of schematic circuit lay
out.

My dad had a good ham friend who was a friend of Donald "Russ" Farnsworth--a
blind ham, W6TTB at that time; he later was able to get back his original
call, W9SUV, when he moved back to Illinois.  Russ was a professional
musician, I think.  He was a longtime ham, and during WW2 he taught code
classes for the army.  Anyway, he later put out a set of phonograph records
teaching Morse code in what came to be known as the "Farnsworth method," in
which all the characters were sent at a pretty high rate (like 20 wpm) but
the spacing between characters was what controlled the overall speed.  I was
able to borrow a set of those records and was finally able to break through
the "speed barrier" which a lot of people seem to experience at a little
above 10 wpm.  Anyway, that got me on my way, and I finally got my
Conditional Class license in 1955 when I was 11 years old--a couple of
months shy of my twelfth birthday.

My dad bought me a used National NC-57 and later built a Heathkit Q
multiplier to go with it.  I also had a home brew transmitter which he
built.  It was a crystal-controlled two-stage rig with a 6L6 final with a pi
network tuner.  It also operated AM fone with Heising modulation.  On a good
day it would operate with a mighty 12 watts of input (which was how we
measured power in those days). But that little rig would load up just about
any length of wire.  I once worked a guy in Kansas on 40 CW with four feet
of wire laying on the table.  I started with our usual 130-foot wire (which
my dad called a longwire, but technically wasn't, I guess) and I was S9
there.  So for a lark, I disconnected the outside antenna and just used the
4-foot lead-in, and my signal dropped to about S7.

Well, those were my beginnings in ham radio.  I have long periods of
inactivity, and I have been in one of those periods now for quite a while.
I have done my share of "rag-chewing" in the past, a little DX, and was
pretty heavily involved in NTS traffic nets for a few years in the early
eighties.

I haven't owned a wide range of gear--A Viking ranger, which I loved; the
Drake 4B twins; a Kenwood TS-930S;  and a TenTec 525 Argosy (the analog
model).  I still have the Argosy, but it's in pretty sad shape.

I just renewed my license, so maybe I can reach 60 years of being licensed.
I occasionally operate 2 meters with a TH-F6A.  I have a 50-foot tower with
an 11-element 2-meter yagi on it and a G5RV hanging on it.  I hope to get
back on HF some time, but climbing around on towers to fix things up is
getting less attractive all the time.

73 to all.

Mike, K9AZS