From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:48:13 -0600
The HF receiver is top of the line for a radio of this price and model.
There are better receivers, but you will be paying double for them.
The comparison has been made between the TS2000 and the IC746/756 series of
transceivers...and yes, for twice the price, you do get a better receiver
with the icom rigs, but the kenwood rig does have some very nice features
that the icoms don't offer.
As for what information the speech synthesiser will give out with the
TS-2000, it will speak frequency, including weather you are in vfo or Memory
mode, it will speak all menu items, it will speak memory channel and
frequency information, S meter readings, will let you know when you switch
from VFO to memory mode, will speak the channel number and frequency as you
change memory channels, will give out limited information with the auto
packet dx cluster as it appears on the display...such as call sign and
frequency of dx cluster contacts....it will not speak power setting,
microphone setting, carier setting, ctcss or tx tones.  This said though,
with each one of these functions, there is a beep at the extreme lower, and
extreme upper ends of these settings....for instance, when adjusting power,
a beep will sound when you are at the lowest power setting, and a beep will
sound when you have reached the highest power setting...giving you limit
references.
Also, as with most new kenwood rigs, there are pitch differences for
multi-function buttons.
USB, LSB, AM, FM and CW/PSK are indicated with a cw character of the
beginning acronum letter when you switch modes.

Its an all around very accessible rig, although, not apparently quite as
vocal as the ts 480.

73
Colin, V A6BKX----- Original Message -----