From:
Pat Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2006 11:46:26 -0600
And be really sure that the subaudible tone is turned on.  Make a
schedule with a somewhat close ham and try a simplex contact, both
with the Kenwood and your other handheld - see if both have about the
same signal strength.  Listening right next to the transmitter can be
deceiving.
Contrary to what John said, I have read notes from people who have
praised Kenwood in VA.  Personally I have had no dealings with any
Kenwood service facility.
Good luck.