From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 22:37:04 -0500
Hi.

I bought the TS2000S mostly because of accessibility.  There are things I
don't like about the radio.  It isn't as sensitive as some of my older
equipment, and I don't like the AGC on the TS2000S.  Actually the receiver
on my Kenwood TS690S will outperform the TS2000S.

Anyway, I think my favorite transceiver from a receiver performance
standpoint was the Icom IC735--zI always had all the sensitivity that I
wanted, and it was somehow more intelligible in noisy band conditions than
any of my Kenwood radios.  Regarding the IC746, I would have gone with that
radio if I could have solved the accessibility problem, and there are
somethings that I don't even care that much about.  I find for example in
the TS2000S that the menus are pretty much set and forget.  I presume that
the Icom is like that also.  PL tones are a much bigger deal, as is
repeater offsets.

If Icom would even let you program it from a computer like the TS2000S,
that would be a manageable arrangement.  If they did that the way that
Kenwood did with the '2000, maybe I would still be running an Icom IC706 MkIIG

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 09:07 AM 3/6/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>     Gary:
>
>Although I don't use the IC746 pro, I do have the Icom 746 basic rig, and
>love it.  I have heard others say that they feel the sensitivity and
>selectivity of the 746 line is better than that for the TS2000.  I haven't
>had a TS2000, though, to do a direct comparison myself.
>
>The only down side to the 746 is that you probably will need some sighted
>assistance to get certain things set up, since the menus and some other
>functions (like repeater off-sets and PL tone selection) are not "user
>friendly".  Once you get repeaters programmed into memories, though, those
>problems are solved.
>
>I don't know how helpful this will be to you, and I'm sure others on the
>list will have their own thoughts and opinions.
>
>If you have any more questions regarding my experience with the 746, feel
>free to ask.
>
>73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK